Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
We are seeking a Research Services Manager to be based in our Auckland Campus who will lead the effective planning and delivery of our pre-award and post-award grant and research support service across the faculty.
You will be responsible for promoting awareness of national, international and internal sources of research funds and supporting researchers to develop funding applications (pre-award support). Once a grant has been awarded, you and your team will work closely with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to maintain oversight of the research activity for the lifecycle of the funding, in accordance with contractual requirements and University policy (post-award support).
The core priorities of this role include:
Strategy and Planning
- Contribute to the development, planning and implementation of Faculty research plans, performance, and funding targets (including cross-faculty interdisciplinary plans, and internal funding targets).
- Manage the provision of research support services, including pre and post-award advice, across all levels of researchers, including senior and emerging.
- Advise the Associate Dean Research on effective allocation of resources to ensure researchers are proactively supported through the lifecycle of research projects.
- Lead an on-going programme of work to adopt and embed quality service standards for research support across the faculty.
- Have oversight of the programme of research projects within the faculty and be the key point of contact regarding this body of work.
- Monitor and support effective operational performance of projects, proactively tracking milestones, ethics applications, expenditure to budget, performance reports, and ensure optimisation of resources.
- Maintain key relationships across the faculty and University, working closely with the Associate Dean Research, and partnering with UniServices and the University Office of Research Strategy and Integrity (ORSI).
For more detailed information, please refer to the Position Description.
Please note, this is a permanent, fulltime (37.5 hours per week) position, with a salary range of $89,400 – $110,400 per annum depending on qualifications and experience.
Mō tō mātou rōpū | About the team
The Faculty of Business & Economics is committed to improving the quality and understanding of business education in New Zealand and internationally through high quality teaching, research, and professional development.
You will be joining a small team working under the Director of Faculty Operations and be charged with the effective planning and delivery of research support services. You will connect with stakeholders across the faculty such as the Associate Dean Research and individual researchers, as well as ORSI, UniServices and external partners.
He kōrero mōu | About you
This is an ideal role for a person with experience in a tertiary environment as well as research grant processes, applications, budgets and planning. You could have a background as a Research Grant Manager, Research Officer or Research Manager or any role that involves securing and advising on grants for researchers.
Your application will stand out if you are excited by getting to know the faculty and our researchers, are comfortable as a policy and process expert, and the idea of partnering with a diverse group of stakeholders to successfully win grants strikes a chord with you.
Nga Pūkenga Motuhake | Important Skills
We are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant tertiary qualification.
- Proven management skills and experience.
- Sound knowledge of the tertiary funding sector.
- Knowledge and application of best practices in fund management.
- Proven administration and management experience in a large complex organisation.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in change management and working co-operatively.
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou | What we offer
The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s leading university and maintains significant computational, laboratory and analytic facilities.
The University is committed to providing an excellent working environment through:
- Flexible employment practices (including working from home, flexible hours)
- Up to 6.75% company superannuation scheme
- A competitive salary with five weeks’ annual leave
In addition, we also offer career development programmes, discounted car parking, a generous parental leave allowance, childcare and a number of other discounts on internal and external services.
For more information please visit Staff Benefits.