Requisition ID: 258967
- Relocation Authorized: National – Camp
- Telework Type: Full-Time Office/Project
- Work Location: Karratha WA
Pluto Train is the expansion of a second LNG train at the existing Pluto LNG onshore facility. Pluto Train 2 will process Scarborough gas and have an LNG capacity of ~5 million tonnes per annum. As part of the construction of Pluto Train 2, additional domestic gas infrastructure will be installed to increase capacity to ~225 Terajoules per day.
On 1 January 2022, Woodside issued Full Notice to Proceed (FNTP) to Bechtel (Western Australia) Pty Ltd and Bechtel International, Inc (Bechtel) for the Pluto Train 2 Project Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) scope of work.
Woodside is Australia’s leading natural gas producer, and Bechtel is excited to be working with this key customer to help meet the increasing global demand for LNG as a transitional energy source.
Bechtel is seeking a Lead Mechanical Field Engineer to join the Pluto Train 2 Project working from the Karratha site in Western Australia. Responsible for the organization and direction of construction engineering personnel and activities relating to construction engineering, subcontracts, and engineering liaison to the design functional group. Interprets design drawings and specifications. Supervises field verification of materials. Provides technical direction to construction engineers and superintendents in a wide range of construction engineering and design functions relating to multi-discipline engineering in an area or to a single discipline on the overall project.
The Construction Lead Mechanical Field Engineer is responsible for activities relating to construction engineering within the mechanical discipline. Duties include interpreting mechanical design drawings and specifications, equipment installation, mechanical leak testing and cleaning/flushing, field verification of materials, and technical direction and assistance to Construction Engineers, Superintendents and Craft in a wide range of construction engineering functions. This position is not considered the design authority for the project, but only to enforce mechanical construction per design.
- Coordinate with engineering on constructability and design issues relating to the mechanical discipline such as mechanical equipment installation, maintenance, and testing.
- Establish a mechanical design/field engineering working relationship and lines of communication with the Project Engineer, including agreement on mechanical engineering deliverables and overall construction application configuration management.
- Responsible for quantity take-off, control, tracking, reporting, and forecasting for mechanical discipline.
- Specify the mechanical criteria for mechanical construction of temporary construction facilities as required.
- Direct the preparation of requisitions for field procured materials, material substitution, services, and equipment such as tanks and drums, hoists, gantry, cranes, and fans and blowers.
- Approve field requisitions as delegated by the Project Field Engineer.
- Review material receiving reports and warehousing to assure delivery of correct mechanical materials.
- Coordinate and monitor the interfaces for mechanical data exchange to support the construction automation plan and the project controls program requirements at the jobsite.
- Develop and manage the mechanical construction quality program.
- Direct preparation of cost estimates for mechanical construction activities and coordinate the preparation of cost reports, forecast and progress reports.
- Coordinate with Field Supervision and Subcontractors to plan/support construction schedules.
- Plan and recommend mechanical procedures to be implemented by Field Supervision to ensure construction operations are within requirements of engineering design and specifications.
- Work with customer’s resident engineering and operating personnel to coordinate mechanical construction activities.
- Coordinate subcontract activities to ensure mechanical materials, equipment and quality comply with design plans and specifications.
- Implement controls over variables affecting mechanical job progress such as equipment installation, maintenance, and testing. Also ensure engineering and procurement provide timely delivery of drawings, materials and equipment and that other corporate programs are fully utilized.
- Undertake mechanical testing including leak testing and cleaning/flushing.
- Administer major subcontract changes regarding the mechanical discipline and represent the company in major contractual discussions and negotiations.
- Perform other duties as required by Bechtel management.
- Validate and submit (discipline) construction quantities for Quantity Unit Rate Report (QURR) tracking.
- Interface with Project Controls for submittal of quantities.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant technical discipline from an accredited university as well as a minimum of six years relevant work experience, or 12 years relevant experience in the absence of a degree.
- Have working knowledge of mechanical operations.
- Must be familiar with current industry quality standards, and internationally accepted mechanical codes and standards (e.g. – Australian Codes and Standards, ASME)
- Direct Hire Experience, preferably in a lump-sum environment.
- Understanding of applicable Bechtel work processes, including Standard Work Process Procedures (SWPP), is preferred.
- Experience in LNG facilities is preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H). Demonstrated commitment to a Zero Accident safety program.
- Must be computer-literate in word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Basic knowledge of Project Technical Requests (PTR) for routing and resolving Requests for Information (RFIs), Field Change Documents (FCDs), and Non-Conformance/Compliance Reports (NCRs) between project sites, contractors, clients, and home office.
- Familiarity with Bechtel Standard Applications (BSAPs), including TEAMWorks, Infoworks or Aconex, BPS or DSCS, PTR or Unifier, Agile, Navisworks, and other automation tools used on Bechtel projects.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Intermediate understanding of production management including scheduling.
- Intermediate communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of cost management including estimating and forecast development.
- Previous supervisory experience within mechanical discipline.
This position has responsibilities that include exposure to changing environmental, construction, and operational conditions, which may include: extensive walking in and around an active construction and/or operations site, climbing ladders, working at heights from work platforms including scaffolding, and mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs), use of personal fall arrest equipment, walking and working on uneven surfaces, working in constricted and/or confined spaces, variable work shifts (e.g., day, night, weekends, 1st, 2nd, 3rd shift, etc.), and work in inclement weather. Some lifting may be required. Candidate must be able to use standard issued Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) required for each assigned task (i.e. respirator, harness, life vest, hearing protection, etc.).
Bechtel’s Vision, Values and Covenants commit us to the ideals of fairness, diversity, inclusion, trust among others. These values help define our culture and the positive impact we aspire to make in the world through our people and projects. At our project sites and offices, we have many colleagues from different nationalities, religions, and backgrounds working together to accomplish amazing things.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, nationality, age, military, or veteran, marital or disability status.
Candidates will be appropriately qualified, demonstrate a strong safety focus and value the development and maintenance of client relationships. Sound communication skills and the ability to work effectively within a team environment are essential.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career with global opportunities, then this could be the role for you.
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel’s duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.