Who we are
Northern Trust is a preeminent global financial institution that provides asset servicing, investment management and wealth management services for institutions, high-net-worth individuals and families. For more than 130 years, our success has been anchored in one purpose: to serve as our clients’ most trusted financial partner, guarding and growing their assets as though they are our own. Our market-leading technological capabilities—spanning from artificial intelligence for currency management, blockchain for fund administration and cloud-based solutions to deliver personalized wealth management services—allow us to deliver the highest level of service to our clients with speed and precision.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
Northern Trust is proud to serve the Australian community with global capabilities, meaningful insights and exceptional service. Institutional clients across Asia Pacific have relied on Northern Trust for effective solutions and ethical guidance across asset servicing and asset management since 1986.
The role of the Investment Operations Analyst sits within the APAC Asset Management business of Northern Trust and is within the Melbourne Asset Management team. The role is primarily responsible for investment support for portfolio managers in APAC.
You will be responsible for being the touch points with portfolio management, trading, operations and client services. You will work directly with Operations teams to ensure agreed controls are adhered to and that any business impacting issues are resolved in good time and assist the local and regional stakeholders with any operational queries that require follow up or closure.
This role will be based in our Melbourne office and will form part of the APAC Operations team with counterparts in Hong Kong and Tokyo.
What you will do
- Daily review of positions, market values and cash to validate accuracy
- Identify issues that will impact the integrity of the portfolio or accounting book of records and review reports including but not limited to fail trade reporting, overdrafts/projected overdraft reports, cash/security reconciliation and any relevant internal or vendor platform output
- Investigate any inaccuracies identified and their impact on Portfolio Managers, and coordinate directly with operation to resolve
- Monitor trades originated by the front office trading to ensure timely matching, confirmation and reporting.
- Work with trade support team to address any trade discrepancies uncovered during the trade matching and settlement process
- Oversight of back-office teams and escalate issues where appropriate
- Help serve as the liaison between the front office and operations teams (internal and external) to resolve any data or processing issues
- Working closely with the client services team, to provide support for client onboarding including broker and account setups.
- Track changes from market and regulatory changes that will impact on the portfolio management and daily operations.
- Assistance with performance analysis and client reporting
- Engage with and/or lead operational and infrastructure change agenda
- Provide operational guidance to the local servicing teams
- Proven experience in Middle/Back Office preferably within Asset Management
- Understanding of the trade life cycle and market practices
- Knowledge of investments, including terminology, instruments and general asset management practices
- Understanding of Portfolio Management and Trading team processes
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work with various stakeholders
- Strong global awareness and adaptability in order to work well with partners/users in various locations/time zones (including but not limited to London, Chicago, Hong Kong and Bangalore)
- Self-starter, and be able to think ahead and manage conflicting tasks
- Strong eye for detail
- Ability to lead and influence other departments to deliver with the tenacity to follow up on outstanding actions
- Previous experience working in an asset management business
- Experience of fund management systems for equities, fixed income and futures
- Proficiency with Blackrock Aladdin, Bloomberg, excel and other business tools a plus.
As of 31 March 2022, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $15.5 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $12.0 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.5 trillion in assets under management
- $173 billion in banking assets
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience. Which is why we are honoured to receive the following awards in 2022:
- 2022 Bronze Small Employer Award in the recent LGBTQ+ Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI)
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg, 2022 (5th consecutive year)
- Top ranking of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s, Corporate Equality Index, 2022 (For the 15th consecutive year, Northern Trust has scored 100% and earned the designation as a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality”
In Australia, we are actively involved in many ways with both community and diversity organisations, which includes paid volunteer participation days. For families, we offer a very generous parental leave scheme, and all staff have access to subsidised health insurance if they choose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
- Want to learn more about our company? Visit our website.
- We are a leading global financial institution- Click here to check out our company accolades!
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.