For over 30 years, The Safehaven Project for Community Living has been providing exceptional care to children with developmental disabilities and complex care needs.
Our mission is to provide high-quality, family-centered, and community-based residential and respite care for individuals with complex care needs.
Safehaven serves individuals with disabilities and their families, through respite and residential programs at our Toronto, Etobicoke, North York, Woodbridge, and Aurora facilities, as well as client homes.
At Safehaven, we are constantly striving to better serve our clients and communities that need us most. That’s why we are currently exploring opportunities to expand our service offerings beyond children to include adults, developing programs and services to care for more medically complex individuals, and implementing innovative therapy and recreational programs for our existing and future clients.
In order for Safehaven to achieve our goals, we are looking for exceptional people with huge hearts who are motivated by positively impacting the lives of others and believe in our vision of creating a more inclusive world for people with complex care needs.
Whether you are working in one of our locations, or in a client’s home, you will have the opportunity to make a real difference and improve the lives of clients and their families in our communities. You will be part of an outstanding team that is so passionate about the work we do.
The Finance Manager for the Safehaven Project for Community Living provides financial and administrative functions and processes which facilitate the management of all necessary operational and financial services for Safehaven. This role engages in financial analysis in such areas as forecasting, budgeting, engaging in cost reduction analysis, and reviewing operational performance.
The Finance Manager provides oversight and management for all Safehaven day-to-day financial activities and prepares financial reports including financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for Not for Profit Organizations. This role reports directly to the Director of Operations and Performance Excellence and works as part of an inter-disciplinary team with the Director, Programs & Professional Practice, and the Safehaven leadership team to oversee all finances, assist with day-to-day operations. The Finance Manager also ensures that a Quality structure is in place and takes on an integral role in all Accreditation processes and practices.
- Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures, with review and revisions every two (2) – three (3) years for internal policies/procedures, and every one (1) – two (2) years for Board specific policies and procedures;
- Oversees the financial operations of Safehaven, including achieving the organization’s goals and objectives, such as a balanced budget and achievement of strategic objectives;
Accounting & Reporting
- Responsible for the financial reporting, cash management, general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll accounting, fixed assets, tax and other accounting functions of the organization;
- Primary contact with external auditors and tax authorities;
- Works with Admin team to prepare deposit slips and cheques, and reconciles all bank accounts monthly to the General Ledger;
- Using Safehaven’s accounting package posts journal entries;
- Calculates withholdings as required, prepares government reports as necessary/required
- Calculates employee withholdings and remits to Receiver General as required;
- Prepares T4 summary with annual electronic Payroll program;
- Calculates Employers Health Tax (EHT) payable and remit to Minister of Finance as required;
- Calculates Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) payable monthly and remit by end of following month; At calendar year end, prepare Annual Return;
- Reconciliation of accounts receivable account monthly, including monthly residential and respite receivables;
- Prepares quarterly financial statements, for review at monthly/quarterly at finance committee/leadership meetings where all transactions/costs/revenues/funds/investments are reviewed and compared to monthly budgeted amounts;
- Responsible for the preparation and development of departmental budgets, budget to various Ministries, submissions of Transfer Payment Annual Reconciliation (TPAR), budgets to the Ministries of Community and Social Services and Children and Youth Services and Form T3010 to Revenue Canada;
- At year end, prepares financial statements and all working papers for the auditors;
- Prepares, reviews, and posts all donations and donation reports, reconciling databases to the General Ledger;
- Leads monthly budgetary touch points with leadership team to provide financial oversight on the individual budgets for clients in Safehaven ca
Financial Resources Management
- Forecasts cash/resource flow positions, related borrowing needs, and available funds for investment;
- Ensures the resource management aligns to strategic resource allocations laid out in strategic planning;
- Maintains banking relationships;
- Monthly reconciliation of funds/investment returns in conjunction with outside wealth manager;
- Works alongside management and leadership in the formulation of its overall strategic direction as far as the organizations financial standing and needs;
- Works with leadership team to build and refine the annual budgeting process, taking in all input and needs for children, locations, and the organization as a whole;
- Works alongside management and the leadership team to prepare and ensure the accuracy of comprehensive annual budgets, ensuring that the budget process is in alignment with the strategic planning process;
- Participates in the development of individual budgets for specialized needs cases, working alongside management to determine individual needs/Adhoc requirements with input and assistance from the leadership team;
- Works with management and leadership team to analyze and find clarity on all variances from the established budget, and the reasons for those variances;
- Analyzes and forecasts revenues and expenditures for Safehaven;
- Monitors the effectiveness of the financial procedures and develops financial systems and controls, including in depth policies and procedures for all Safehaven financial processes;
- Engages in ongoing cost reduction analyses in all areas of the organization;
- Engages in benchmarking studies to establish areas of potential operational/financial improvements for Safehaven;
- Interprets financial information for the leadership team so as to provide recommendations for improvement activities and to better identify areas and opportunities for process improvement;
- Reviews organizational bottlenecks to identify and recommend changes to improve the overall organizational financial efficiency;
- Compiles key organizational metrics and reports/presents on them to management and the leadership team;
- Manage the capital budgeting process while ensuring the budget process is in alignment with the Strategic Planning process;
- Completion of monthly/quarterly targets for the Board of Directors Dashboard;
- Creates additional analyses and reports as requested by management
- Analysis of processes to provide recommendations to the leadership team for areas for improvement in efficiencies and effectiveness;
- Analysis of cloud/computer based accounting systems to replace Safehaven’s current QuickBooks accounting system and project management including timetables, costing, implementation, training, with capacity for multiple levels of account levels for different users e.g. CEO, Finance Manager, Client Care Coordinators, etc.
- Always acts in a respectful and effective manner with all people, in a manner that recognizes, affirms and values Safehaven;
- Upholds a high standard of proper conduct and professionalism;
- Follows Health and Safety policies that are set out at Safehaven, demonstrating a positive “health and safety” attitude;
- Reports hazards to the CEO that the employee is aware of;
- Participates in the On Call rotation, acting as a first level of contact for front line staff;
- Provide any support possible to front-line staff who are caring for clients and their families.
- Eight (8) plus years of previous experience in a similar organization including at least 3 years at the manager level;
- Post-secondary degree/diploma, preferably in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance, and holds a professional designation (e.g. CPA, CMA, CGA);
- Desire to work for an organization that is committed to providing exceptional service and be an ambassador of Safehaven values to provide services to clients and families.
- In-depth technical knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), with understanding computer based solutions for process improvements and financial systems;
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for not for profit organizations;
- Previous experience working with ADP or other cloud based payroll systems and Salesforce a definite asset;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, and ability to multi-task and work in a challenging fast paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Maturity, professionalism, and high level of discretion are required;
- Knowledge of procedural controls, and data validation techniques required;
Job Type: Fixed term contract
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday