Finance Director, Rincon – Rio Tinto Battery Materials
- Key role in a diverse and global organization
- Join during an exciting period of growth for Rio Tinto Battery Materials business
- Be a senior leader driving the globally important Rincon lithium project
- Role will be located in Salta, Argentina
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Finance Director, Rincon for Battery Materials’ lithium development project in Argentina. The Rincon project will be one of the largest lithium producing operations in the world during a period of unprecedented demand for lithium and battery materials.
This role is critical in supporting project development in a sustainable and value accretive manner. Interaction with a variety of stakeholders, including senior management, will be required on a frequent basis. The role will have primary responsibility for the Rincon project; however, will also have opportunity to support growth opportunities in the region.
We are an open, connected global team that includes some of the industry’s best and brightest minds. We offer competitive, performance-focused remuneration and a wide range of benefits to reward your contribution. With a global reach, the opportunities to develop and grow your career are broad and exciting.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer – Battery Materials, working in a collaborative community, a challenging and exciting environment and a diverse team, you will be:
- Financial lead and a senior leader for the Rincon project – managing the local finance team
- Supporting financial responsibilities internally (planning, cost reporting) and externally (stat accounts) -engaging with auditors to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Supporting studies, governance and preparedness ahead of project development commencement
- Ownership of business case development and optimization – identifying key value levers
- Drafting analysis, presentations and papers. Supporting all decisions with robust analysis
- Supporting commercial relationships in the region; including infrastructure partnerships
- Overseeing in-country treasury activities – developing strategies for efficient flow of funds
- Establishing processes to support integration of a globally significant operation
- Involved in regional M&A opportunities, as required
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, or engineering (with finance experience)
- Minimum 10 – 15 years of related experience in a mining or similar industry
- Experience leading finance teams with broad areas of exposure (accounting, tax, treasury)
- Excellent PowerPoint, presentation, and report writing skills to a professional level
- Proven independence, resourcefulness, and organizational skills
- Ability to work across various functions (i.e., procurement, IS&T) to deliver business objectives
- Ability to prioritize and handle numerous deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team and influence stakeholders
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, changing environment
- Spanish and English language fluency
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- CPA designation and/or MBA
- Exposure to project development, study progression, and business case development
- Experience working with a company exposed to lithium or other battery materials
- Prior experience with SAP (or equivalent) highly regarded
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities, and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you will be working
Recognized as a pioneer and leader in the industrial minerals industry due to product quality, supply reliability and technical support; we are proud to make modern life work. Lithium is part of our portfolio of materials essential to a low-carbon future and is a key element needed for low-carbon technologies. The Battery Materials unit is comprised of the Borates operations in US, the Jadar Project in Serbia and the Rincon project in Argentina, leading in mining borates and lithium for a more sustainable future.
The Rincon lithium project is a large undeveloped lithium brine project located in the heart of the lithium triangle in the Salta Province of Argentina, an emerging hub for greenfield projects. It is a long-life, scaleable resource with one of the lowest carbon footprints of lithium assets in the world. This acquisition is a significant further endorsement of our commitment to the battery materials sector and lithium’s role in a low-carbon future.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable being themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA2 community, mature workers, people with disabilities, and people from different cultural backgrounds.