Asia Cup schedule 2022: India to take on Pakistan on August 28 in UAE
India will take on Pakistan in the evening at the Dubai International Stadium on August 28, Asian Cricket Council (ACC) president Jay Shah confirmed after announcing the full schedule of the tournament. The mega event will begin on August 27 with the opening game between Sri Lanka and Afghanistan. There is a high chance that India and Pakistan will face each other more than once in the tournament.
The wait is finally over as the battle for Asian supremacy commences on 27th August with the all-important final on 11th September.
The 15th edition of the Asia Cup will serve as ideal preparation ahead of the ICC T20 World Cup. pic.twitter.com/QfTskWX6RD
— Jay Shah (@JayShah) August 2, 2022
The neighbours will square off once more on October 23 at the illustrious Melbourne Cricket Ground in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, one month after the Asia Cup.
2022 Asia Cup
- Dates: 27 August (11 September 2022)
- Administrator(s): Asian Cricket Council
- Cricket format: Twenty20 International
- The tournament format(s): Round-robin and knockout
- Host: UAE
- Participants: 6
Asia Cup 2022 Full schedule:
- August 27 – Sri Lanka vs Afghanistan, Dubai
- August 28 – India vs Pakistan, Dubai
- August 30 – Bangladesh vs Afghanistan, Sharjah
- August 31 – India vs Qualifier, Dubai
- September 1 – Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh, Dubai
- September 2 – Pakistan vs Qualifier, Sharjah
- September 3 – B1 vs B2, Sharjah
- September 4 – A1 vs A2, Dubai
- September 6 – A1 vs B1, Dubai
- September 7 – A2 vs B2, Dubai
- September 8 – A1 vs B2, Dubai
- September 9 – B1 vs A2, Dubai
- September 11 – Final, Dubai
(All matches will start at 7.30 PM IST)
Group A and B
- Group A: India, Pakistan, Qualifier (TBD)
- Group B: Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan
The tournament was scheduled to be held in Sri Lanka but was shifted to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) due to the political and economic crisis in Sri Lanka. They will continue to serve as hosts and will take on Afghanistan in the opening match of the tournament on 27 August. This is the second time after 2016 that the Asia Cup will be played in the T20 format.
India defeated Pakistan by five wickets in the group stage before going on to win the tournament over Bangladesh in 2016 final. India has also won seven out of nine matches against Pakistan in T20Is. It is also the most successful team in the Asia Cup since 1984 with six titles in 12 editions.
India vs Pakistan, Head-to-head:
- 1984 Asia Cup: India beat Pakistan by 54 runs.
- 1988 Asia Cup: India beat Pakistan by 4 wickets.
- 1995 Asia Cup: Pakistan beat India by 97 runs.
- 1997 Asia Cup: Match abandoned due to rain.
- 2000 Asia Cup: Pakistan beat India by 44 runs.
- 2004 Asia Cup: Pakistan beat India by 59 runs.
- 2008 Asia Cup: Ind beat Pak by 6 wickets in the group stage before Pakistan defeated India in the Super Four stage.
- 2010 Asia Cup: India beat Pakistan by 3 wickets.
- 2012 Asia Cup: India beat Pakistan by 6 wickets.
- 2014 Asia Cup: Pakistan beat India by 1 wicket.
- 2016 Asia Cup: India beat Pakistan by 5 wickets.